Friday, July 15, 2011

Trip to Sunriver, OR

It has been a long, long time since we've been able to get away together. The last time we were away together was in 2007 when we flew to Richmond, but that wasn't exactly a vacation trip. Grandma Burk wanted to come up to see the kids, so we decided to use the opportunity to take a vacation. We drove down to Sunriver in Central Oregon for a few days and stayed in a comfy cabin.


Since we've been in Oregon, we've always loved the beauty of the various volcanoes. This trip was no exception. Excluding the smaller ones in and around the Portland area that we passed on our way out, we saw: Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Jefferson, 3 Sisters, Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Mazama (Crater Lake), Mt. Thielsen, Mt. Washington, Black Butte, Newberry. The sheer scale and number of them is amazing. We walked throug some huge lava fields near the Newberry Caldera.
Xan enjoying a canoe ride around the lake. It was nice and relaxing.

I've been wanting to do some kayaking so decided I didn't want to miss the opportunity. Xan thought the canoe was a big enough experience and decided to stay on land, relax, and shoot some pictures.

One of the things that Xan really wanted to do was horseback riding, but I've never really been that into it. She finally talked me into it, but I had the last laugh...She was sore for the next few days. Xan's horse was Bandana and mine was Miles.

I've been married to Xan for almost 11 years and have never seen her near a pool (or a bathing suit for that matter). Somehow I finally convinced her to jump in. We had a lot of fun swimming and relaxing under the stars each night in the water.

Going to Crater Lake was one of the things on our "2011 Bucket List". We're doing really good on the list. The drive down was definitely worth it. They had just opened the north snow gate the previous week. Pictures can't do it justice. Crater Lake was beautiful!

Xan and I enjoying a barbeque on our last night of freedom.

Xan saying goodbye to her house before heading home. We had a wonderful, memorable, and relaxing trip. It was good to get away by ourselves for awhile, but we constantly found ourselves saying, "Hannah would love this." It was nice to get back into our own bed and get back into Mommy and Daddy mode. Here's to the "2012 Bucket List"!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive